A harbour view from the 1940s from Deadman’s Corner - so called because anything washed into the harbour gets deposited at this corner of the South and East Quays by the eddy currents.
Whelks boats in the 1940s. Whelkers from Sheringham in Norfolk arrived in Whitstable around 1910 and integrated into the fishing community with their double ended vessels.
1947 – A frozen sea. Smaller working boats including an Oyster Smack take shelter. The “F” on the boats’ numbers signifies Faversham where our vessels were registered.
1960 – The West Quay with its Grain Silo. In this period the transportation of grain by water was still the preferred route.
Another frozen harbour in the cold winter of 1962-63. Both the South and West Quays are full of imported timber. A very commercial harbour with no access to the public.
The harbour, like Whitstable itself, has always evolved to survive and prosper. Here in 1965, commerce and industry merge with private boats and yachts.
The WWW2 Maunsell Forts in the estuary off Whitstable pictured in 1966. From Defence to Pop Pirate Radio Station, and now along with the Windfarm and basking seals, these can be viewed with summer trips on the sailing barge 'Greta' from the harbour.
An aerial shot of the harbour in the 1970s, showing the extent of its footprint. Today it is still part industrial, but mixes that with commerce based on the South Quay and a safe environment for the public to enjoy at any time of the year.
Working on the South Quay in 1973. This view includes parts of buildings that remain today, but it’s food and views that are being served here now, not lorries.
A colourful picture postcard from the 1970s, with a busy harbour including a wide variety of working boats.
1974 – A busy and dusty South Quay with no room for people.
The Invicta locomotive built by Stephenson to run on the Canterbury and Whitstable Railway. It survives to this day.
The inaugural journey from Canterbury on the new railway, arriving at Whitstable on 3 March 1830.
The first plan of Whitstable Harbour. The backwater which held back the diverted Gorrell Stream is now a car park covered tank. Early steam engines burned coke, not coal, hence the coke ovens.
A view of the Harbour in the 1880s, looking toward the East Quay. Coal trucks are lined up on railway lines on all the quays.
A rare view from the 1890s looking into the harbour entrance at low tide. The 'Lighthouse' housed a steam powered winding wheel which pulled the train on the last part of its journey.
A shot of the East Quay in the 1890s with some of the fleet that worked the ‘coal run’ bringing coal from Sunderland and Newcastle to power east Kent.
Unloading a ship around 1900 was a manual job. Stevedores, holding a rope from a mast pulley, climbed the steps then jumped off, running along the quay to lift the bags of coal - hence 'jumping the coals'.
The harbour, pictured here in the 1920s, was designed to enable railway trucks to get to the edge of all the quays. At the West Quay, horses pulled the trucks, two turntables allowing them to turn the corners.
The harbour horses were stabled in what is now the Whitstable Marine building by the west gate. This picture shows J W Eldridge and C Willis with two in the late 1940s when they were retired. Photo credit - Kent Photo Archive.